Introductory Letter

 Subject: An introduction about myself

Dear Prof Brad,

I am writing an introductory letter to you, and I hope this will allow you to get to know me better. My name is Bryan Ng, a Year 1 student pursuing a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering in the Singapore Institute of Technology. I previously graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Biomedical Engineering. I have decided to pursue engineering education because I was fascinated with the limitless possibilities of how machinery can make a difference in our lives. I have always been passionate about mathematics and science. They have always been my strongest subjects ever since I was a child. I have always enjoyed the satisfaction of being able to solve complex problems and explore parts of the products around me.

One of my strengths in communication is being open to strangers and people around me. I am someone who likes to make people feel comfortable around me and I hope to be trustworthy for them to approach. I was an introvert, and I believe it is important to make the first move to approach others warmly to create an excellent first impression.

As for my weakness, I do have difficulties relaying my thoughts in speeches clearly, which portrays me as being nervous most of the time and causing misunderstandings between myself and others. I am also not as fluent when I am speaking in front of a big audience due to stage fright. Fortunately, I was able to constantly receive help from people around me to clear things up and improve my speech.

My goal for this module, Critical Thinking and Communicating, is to improve my confidence to speak in front of a big audience and my quality of speech. I want to step out of my comfort zone, to make full use of the lessons to practice with the rest of the class. I am looking forward to receiving much feedback from you and my classmates to further refine my skills.

Yours sincerely,

Bryan

Comments

  1. Bryan your reason for pursuing engineering is the same mine! And probably most of us here too. It is great to hear that passion for math and science has brought you here. I am sure you are going to have a great time. From communication with you last Tuesday, I can tell you are nervous from presenting your thoughts to others. I have to admit I do face the same issues back in my poly days and even now. Speaking to my own class is bad enough for me, not to mention huge crowd. Lets overcome this fear together in Prof Brad class. I really enjoyed your letter and your key points are stated out clearly. We will overcome our adversity with our fighting spirit! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bryan!
    I used to be in your shoes, being an introvert as well. I improved myself over the years via different methods like working full time at an education center, or like setting up my business which requires me to work on my english and how I communicate and present myself. I believe everyone of us will find our ways to improve ourself and I believe you can do it as well!
    I am really glad that you are someone who have a positive mindset and loves challenges as well.

    It would be more interesting if you could include maybe some examples or work-related experiences so that I can get to know you and the field of engineering you have done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bryan, for this clearly focused, highly informative letter. I appreciate the way that you have used your passion for math and science as the basis for a discussion of your interest in engineering. You also tie your comm skills weakness in speaking to needs and your goals, which indeed is a good way to view work in the module. We'll work hard to help you exit your comfort zone.

    One other thing is sure from this letter. Your language use is fluent.

    I look forward to learning more about you in the course of the term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog