Critical Reflection

Module Learning

Before taking up this module, Critical Thinking and Communications, I was weak in areas such as presentation, research analysis, and academic writing. I was not confident that I would do well. In the first few lessons, I was told to write an introductory letter to Prof. Brad stating my strengths, weaknesses, and goals for the module. My goal was to improve on all my weak areas and be a great classmate.

Throughout the 13 weeks, I was able to find gradual improvements in myself every lesson. I was able to step out of my comfort zone to conquer my weaknesses with constant help and feedback from my classmates and Prof. Brad. I was able to practice my presentation skills when I was called out to read a paragraph in class, practice self-introduction, and research topics pitching with classmates. Although I was not able to perform my best in the oral presentation, I was able to bring out express my strengths such as natural gestures and usage of proper language.

As for academic writing, I have always lacked confidence as I was weak in English since my secondary school days. After doing multiple drafts for each assignment, I was surprised that I was able to write fluent essays with proper language. I believe the feedback I have received from my classmates and Prof. Brad on every draft has significantly enhanced my capabilities in academic writing. In addition, I have learned how to do proper research using credible sources and citations to give credit to the authors.

To further improve on these skills, I believe in constant practice and gaining feedback from peers.


Project Learning

During the briefing of the project, I was not confident as my group and I were required to come up with a proposal for a new product to tackle real-world problems. Despite that, I believe that my team and I will be able to overcome the project with our creativity. At the start of the project, I took on the role of a reporter as I wanted to improve my presentation skills. During my first report, I was not able to collate my words properly despite referring to the points on my laptop. Before the second report, I was able to practice with my group as we expressed our understanding of our proposed product to one another and provided feedback after. 

For the project brainstorming, I was not able to catch up with the rest at times. I believe the reason was that I was not able to think out of the box. However, they are willing to slow down the pace and provide me guidance along the way. I was able to understand their thought processes and do my best to assist them. I was eventually able to catch up and contribute better.

For the oral presentation, my group and I were nervous even when we were rehearsing, and made many mistakes along the way. We continuously motivate one another during rehearsals to conquer our stage fright. 

This project reminds me that while individual performance is crucial, greater things can be achieved in a team with outstanding synergy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Letter